6 April 2006

Shiver me timbers

I cannot seem to get warm at all today. I've had that deep down cold feeling since getting out of bed this morning that no amount of hot green tea or layers of clothing or huge bear hugs can shift. I can't imagine cycling to and from work in a chilly force four headwind helped much - it's still an unseasonable 8/9 degrees here but feels more like 5 with wind chill, and cycling in conditions like this leaves one both freezing and sweaty. I can't believe it's April 6th and I'm still wearing gloves...

So much for a warm and cosy apartment, too - the damned useless painters our landlord has hired left the windows open all day so it's still arctic in here. I think flannel pyjamas + socks + duvet + fleecy throw may be the only solution...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katherine said...

Hmm that sounds worse than the stupid April showers we're having. They are mental.

Miss Brodigan, me fella's friend is going to Amsterdam and looking for recommended hostels and my stupid webmail lost your email address, what have you got to say on the subject?

Catherine said...

Jaysus my hands are still blocks of ice. April showers are the worst, very sneaky!

Tell yer fella's friend there are two good hostels on either side of the Vondelpark - the Flying Pig (Vossiusstraat) and Stayokay (not sure of the street name though). The latter looks more modern but also more "conventional". There's also a cheapo hotel/B&B called the Art Gallery Hotel on the Weteringschans which does B&B for EUR50. Tell him to bring his long johns!

And I shall email you with my new address...