20 April 2006

Corollary

Mini heatwave or no, it is starting to warm up here on the whole. And for anyone in Amsterdam who lives even remotely close to any of the city's many bodies of water (i.e. 99% of the population) this can only mean one thing: the mozzies are back.

I hadn't expected them for another week or so but was rudely awakened at 3.30 this morning by the familiar whiny buzzy noise round my head. I drowsily pulled the mosquito net around our bed and went straight back to sleep. Cue another wakeup call an hour later - not by the buzzing this time but by an extremely itchy sensation on my right arm. Bite number one from the mozzie now trapped inside the net. I managed to smoosh him (but not without waking Oran) and again, back to sleep. There were birds singing outside our window when I was woken again, by mozzie number two. This one had been feasting on any bits of exposed flesh he could find for quite a while and killing him was a rather messy affair. Final bite count: six for me (left cheek, left middle finger, left wrist, left elbow, right arm x 2), one for Oran. My pale freckled skin must be highly attractive to the little gits. I'll be going on another killing spree tonight before bedtime, for sure. Eugh.

No comments: