13 March 2006

Shamrock fever



Plans for St. Patrick's Day are already in train here. My mum got us started in style with this little package of goodness, which arrived on Friday night. There were two packets of buffalo Hunky Dorys included but we fell on them like savages the second I opened the box!

Sadly, the day itself isn't a public holiday here but we're planning to get the evening started in style early enough. Our current plan is to hijack our friendly local and deck it out as an Irish pub for the night, complete with diddly-aye and rebel rouser music. No green beer though, but I'm sure Gab the barman will come up with some seasonal shooter or other to get us all in the mood!

It's funny how I've grown to enjoy St. Patrick's Day more since I've left Ireland. It held some charm for me while I was still at college, but by the time I was leaving for Scotland it was just another day off, and an annoying, traffic-diverted, public-brawling, shops-shut one at that. Here we get most of the celebrations but none of the rowdiness; plus we get to introduce our international friends to our many and varied customs and traditions on this most Irish of days. I'll have them all playing The Dawning Of The Day on that tin whistle by the end of the night, no doubt.

No comments: