12 September 2007

Gastro disaster

I'm sorely tempted to name names in this post, but I won't just yet as it's a story that has yet to reach its ending...

Last night two of the sisters were about town so we decided to have a bite to eat near my apartment. I booked a table for three at Place A for 8pm and we sauntered up at around ten to eight. I was really looking forward to going back as the menu was varied and the food delicious on my last visit about two months ago. Anyway, we walked in and were seated straight away as the place was pretty quiet. We opened our menus and realised straight away that our choices were going to be extremely limited unless we wanted giant hunks of red meat. None of us were that hungry so we opted for the lightest dishes on the menu - the girls chose the chicken dish and I picked a veggie tagine. Our waitress came over to take our order and, when the girls asked for chicken, she told them the kitchen was all out.

Now, I'm not a restaurateur or a chef, but this seemed pretty stupid, for a few reasons. a) Chicken dishes are always popular, b) it was a quiet night and c) it wasn't even 8pm! We were pretty peeved and ended up walking out. (It's not my first time walking out of a restaurant, but that's a story for another day.)

Onward and downward - well, down the hill - to my local. I've drunk there a few times since moving back (which makes it my local for reasons of pure frequency!) and had heard good things about the bar food. We got settled in one of the snugs straight away and ordered - I went for caesar salad and the girls opted for seafood chowder. The food arrived fairly quickly (dinner! finally!) and we dug in. My salad was delicious and the girls were wolfing down their chowder at a rate of knots - Helen declared it just as good as any she's ever had in Dingle. Result, we thought - lovely food, lovely bar, less than a tenner a head.

That was until 1am when both girls (one of whom was staying with me) woke in a delirious nauseous sweat. They were both up for most of the night and are still feeling dodgy. We won't find out what said local has to say for itself until later this evening... at which point I'll decide whether or not to reveal its identity. Either way, I'm pretty wary of ordering anything there again, and Place A has definitely earned a spot on the blacklist. What a disaster of an evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm dying to know what their reaction was..