10 January 2007

Over the hump

[Editor's note: This post is coming to you from only nine of my ten fingers. I just burned my right little finger on a match lighting the gas to griddle some salmon. The tip of the lit match touched my fingertip and it is BLOODY SORE. This isn't intended as an excuse for the quality of this post, I just wanted to point out how clumsy I am.]

I think I've finally managed to rout myself out of the post-Christmas, start-of-January slump. Ours was a very quiet apartment all of a sudden on new year's day after my sisters and Oran left, and I retreated into my shell almost straight away. I must have been a pleasure to deal with at work as I was nowhere near my usual stroppy self. Not that that helped my productivity - once I'd caught up on the email I spent the rest of the week surfing the web and staring into space. Friday couldn't have come quick enough - I'd booked myself in for a massage to try and improve my mood, but although it was lovely and I followed it with a scalding hot bath (we have a bath!), the apathy still refused to lift. It probably didn't help either that the last thing I saw before going to bed was a 30-minute "documentary" about Jordan and Peter Andre, surely enough to unsettle anyone.

Saturday & Sunday were spent cooking and baking and eating the results of both - Thai green curry and a huge stack of profiteroles. As if choux pastry and cream wasn't enough stodge, we used the profiteroles as dipping fodder for Jenny's brand new chocolate fountain (just as decadent as it sounds...) Between the food and the two seasons of Coupling and the twenty hours of sleep I got in between Saturday and Sunday nights, I was in much better shape heading to work on Monday.

I'm still a tad homesick, and still in comfort cooking/eating mode, but it's not taking me half an hour to work up the energy to get out of bed and I even managed to crack jokes with my boss today. At this rate I may even manage a gym session by the end of the week...

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Hello, my RSS feed thing for you didn't update so I'm only seeing this now. Ah the chocolate is a divil.