30 April 2006

All oranged out

"Today is not about dressing up and looking pretty, it's about wearing orange and getting drunk." - Andrew



In spite of the colder than usual weather, yesterday turned out to be the best Queen's day I've had here. We wore orange, we wandered, we drank beer, we ate street food, we spent four hours at a free mini-festival outside Paradiso, and we rounded the evening off in a hammock at Sarah's fabulously orange apartment. All in all, good Queen's day fun. Oh, and I abseiled across a canal:



That's me, hanging from a wire high over the Reguliersgracht. A bunch of mountain-climbing and abseiling enthusiasts decided to run a wire from the attic of a student house on one side of the canal to a big tree on the other. We spent about ten minutes watching people zoom across and I figured it didn't look so scary. So I paid my three euro, climbed six flights of extremely steep and narrow stairs, and jumped out an attic window. I was in flight for a total of about ten seconds but it was great fun. And for the record, I didn't scream once.

This being the Netherlands, we don't get tomorrow off in lieu of the holiday falling on a weekend. So it's back to work tomorrow, although safe to say nationwide productivity will be taking a big nosedive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome! Great picture and I love your shoes.

Katherine said...

Ha! Great fun, I would like a go of that abseiling yoke.